Thread: AD sync & other

lalas is offline Intermediate Member

Question Active Directory sync & others

Hi all,

Looking for MS exchange alternative, I have installed and configured Zimbra.
    Webmail part and AD authentification work fine. Good.

But I have some questions:

1) How can I import all my AD users (no ms exchange server) ? I have tried ldif import but the object class 'zimbraAccount' requires auto-generated attribute 'zimbraId'. Is it possible to auto implement it without any risk of futur conflits ?

2) so a feature request : is there any possibility to auto add/del users/groups from Zimbra when they are added/deleted in AD ? (script?)

3) Zimbra looks great but is slow too ... you recommended 2ghz CPU / 2go RAM ... But how many users could connect simultaneously in this case ?

Thanx in advance for your help.
    Last edited by lalas; 05-10-2006 at 07:14 AM.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

1) For importing user's it's best to use zmprov and feed it a batch file. See zmprov -? for more options.

2) You can do this with a cronjob to look for the last modified/change date in the AD entires and add/sync them as needed. Also you can add a call to zimbra to your provisioning scripts so this is automatic.

3) This really depends on the usage profile, the message size, and the number of users that will be on the system at the same time. IMAP is a bit more chatty than the Web UI or Outlook connector so the connection type also matters.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thanx for your answer.

For importing user's it's best to use zmprov and feed it a batch file. See zmprov -? for more options.
    I have tested it today and it works well, all my AD users are in place. I must now import groups : is it possible to give multiple mail address in option to zmprov adlm (zmprov adlm list1@mydomain user1@mydomain user2@mydomain ... )?

You can do this with a cronjob to look for the last modified/change date in the AD entires and add/sync them as needed. Also you can add a call to zimbra to your provisioning scripts so this is automatic.
    This is the big problem for me : I must have this fonctionality, but I don't have sufficient shell script knowledge to do this correctly. Have you any exemple (I even searched in the forum but found nothing about it) ?
    Also you can add a call to zimbra to your provisioning scripts so this is automatic.
    Ok but I'm not Zimbra Network Edition customer. Is there any problem with that ?

This really depends on the usage profile, the message size, and the number of users that will be on the system at the same time. IMAP is a bit more chatty than the Web UI or Outlook connector so the connection type also matters.
    4000 mails/day, 1000 mailbox, 400 users on the same time, mostly POP3 protocol and no outlook connector (open source version).

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by lalas
    I have tested it today and it works well, all my AD users are in place. I must now import groups : is it possible to give multiple mail address in option to zmprov adlm (zmprov adlm list1@mydomain user1@mydomain user2@mydomain ... )?
    Yes it should take multiple addresses.

This is the big problem for me : I must have this fonctionality, but I don't have sufficient shell script knowledge to do this correctly. Have you any exemple (I even searched in the forum but found nothing about it) ?
    Ok but I'm not Zimbra Network Edition customer. Is there any problem with that ?
    We've done some of these for customers as integration as part of their Network purchase. It's not something we've included or ship with the product though. You can do this with the OSS version but you are on your own.

4000 mails/day, 1000 mailbox, 400 users on the same time, mostly POP3 protocol and no outlook connector (open source version).
    4000 msgs for the whole system? So avg 4msg's per user per day. That's pretty low so would be reasonable to support that on a avg dual CPU box with ~2GB ram. You might even get away with less but it's always better to have room to grow and for service spikes.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default AD Sync

Thanx for all your answers KevinH.

About the Zimbra/AD accounts & groups sync :

We've done some of these for customers as integration as part of their Network purchase. It's not something we've included or ship with the product though. You can do this with the OSS version but you are on your own.
    So, since zimbra team can't help me more, perhaps others community members have the same problem and why not a solution ?
    Last edited by lalas; 05-10-2006 at 07:15 AM.

Thread Information